My fears and is the pot half full or half empty?
I snuck into the green house down the street last night, (Okay they new I was there) to take this shot of old clay pots- love them!
Just this morning I was thinking about the things that hold me back; they’re very real and kind of scary, so I guess you could call them fears. I’ve always been fearful of certain things, like: the dentist, snakes, big spiders, death and sometimes the dark. The difference between always and now is that my list of fears has grown by leaps and bounds. Some of these thoughts could be considered worries more so than full blown fears but even so they’re disruptive like a nagging tooth ache that prevents me from enjoying the sweet stuff that life has to offer.
I think I’ll eat this pear today. It was so pretty I hated to take a bite but now that I have this picture, I think it’s time.
Here are a few things that have made their way to my list in recent years.
1. fear of growing old- in mind and body (I want to live to be 100 in a young mind and body)
2. fear of looking old ( I know looks aren’t everything but I still want to look good)
3. fear of losing my parents ( didn’t think about that until I saw it happen to friends)
4. fear of losing any other loved ones ( kind of worried about that before but more so now)
5. fear of failure (didn’t used to worry about failing so- I took more chances)
6. fear of losing my health (the c word and other dreading things are in the back of my mind)
7. fear of financial collapse ( brought on by the depression or whatever it is we’re experiencing)
8. etc and many more too numerous to mention
Now you may look at this list and think it’s not much different than anyone else’s list. That may be true but I didn’t used to worry about things like this. I just leaped over the hurdles and kept going without paying a whole lot of attention to fearful things. Can I be that girl again or is it inevitable that as we reach the middle age mark (the dreaded forty) we look at the world a little differently. It may just be an attitude the pot half full vs half empty kind of thing. Well, I want my pot filled up to the brim no half full containers will do for me, thank you very much.
I guess this week’s assignment in my unravelling class brought this list of fears to my attention. We’ve been assigned the dreaded task of taking four images of our face and then posting them on flickr, for the whole world to see. I’m terrified… I usually hate my pictures and trying to take four head shots of myself that I would keep in my private photo files is nearly impossible let alone pictures I want to show in public. It goes back to #2 on the list, fear of looking old. I hate that one!
Okay I’m sick of complaining. I’ll let you know how the picture taking goes. I want to share something fun with all of you, fd’s flickr toys. It’s a handy little sight that allows you to do some fun things with your pictures. I made the mosaic below on this sight. It’s fun and pretty easy so give it a try. It might just make your pot look half full- oh hell let’s fill’er up to the brim.
Have a terrific Tuesday.
2 Comments »